Marine VHF Radio Certificate Course
Australian Waters Qualification (AWQ)
For Australian local and coastal waters you require a qualification to operate a Marine VHF radio in non emergency situations.
This qualification was prepared by the Australian Media Communications Authority to suit recreational boat operators.
This certificate course enables you to:
- Obtain a MMSI number for DSC use
- Know how the use DSC.
- Know the correct channels to use and when to use them.
- Receive up to date weather and navigational information.
- Know distress and safety procedures, how to access search and rescue.
- Know how to respond to an emergency call.
- Send messages that are understood and others know how to respond.
- Know when and how to operate an EPIRB in a distress situation.
To obtain this qualification, just attend our 3 hr course and after a brief presentation there are two tests.
Theory test – 25 questions, multiple choice answers
Practical hands on test – operating the latest Marine VHF radios.
A certificate is presented at the end of the course.
(discounts for groups at clubs)
There is an online handbook, some videos and practice test questions available to assist you. You can access these once you have booked.
Many courses are run each month at the City/Albert Park Lake, Williamstown and Frankston. Course times are 6pm to 9pm.
To book for the course nearest you, simply click here >>